We invite you to join us for a youth-led forum on the experiences and needs of one of the most vulnerable populations in foster care- youth who will "age out" of the child welfare system into independence.
This event will provide an engaging forum to:
• Listen to youth sharing their stories and ideas;
• Learn the facts about youth aging out; and
• Discuss how we as policymakers, advocates, and community members can support the successful transition of youth in state care into self-sufficient adults.
Participants will include:
• Youth currently and formerly in the care of the Department of Children and Families
• A new panel of previous youth speakers returning with updates to their testimony
• Social workers, attorneys, and foster parents who work with youth in DCF care
• Comptroller Kevin Lembo
• Commissioner Joette Katz, Department of Children and Families
• The Honorable Bernadette Conway, Chief Administrative Judge, Juvenile Matters
• Representative Diana Urban, Chair, Children's Committee
• Representative Noreen Kokoruda, Ranking Member, Children's Committee
• Sarah Eagan, Child Advocate, Office of the Child Advocate
• Kally Moquete, Founder, Connecticut Foster Care Alumni Association
We will update this list as more speakers confirm their attendance.
Please RSVP online here – seating is limited.
Contact Nicole Updegrove at email@example.com or 203-498-4240, ext. 107 with any questions.
Quick note – we are hearing that some folks are having trouble accessing the RSVP site, as Google Forms´access seems to be restricted for state employees. If you cannot register there, please RSVP to Nicole Updegrove at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
• WHAT: 6th annual Youth at the Capitol Day.
• WHEN: December 15th, from 8:30 am to 12:30 PM.
• WHERE: Old Judiciary Room, State Capitol, 210 Capitol Avenue, Hartford.
• REGISTRATION: please RSVP here. Seating is limited.