The email below was published via our E-newsletter on May 5, 2022. The attachment includes a comprehensive legislative summary for 2022.
Dear Voices Community –
The 2022 legislative session has concluded! This year, the Connecticut General Assembly passed a FY23 budget adjustment that provides unprecedented support to the state’s hardworking families. We are pleased to report that a number of the policies we have fought for, together, are included:
- over $100 million toward child care in the upcoming fiscal year;
- $223 million toward children’s mental health resources over two years;
- an expansion of Medicaid for immigrant children 12 and younger;
- an increase in the Connecticut earned income tax credit to 41.5% of the federal level;
- a $250-per-child (up to three children) Connecticut child tax credit, a state first (!);
- an increase in Special Education funding that helps reduce the local property tax burden;
- an increase in the property tax credit to a maximum of $300 per tax filer; and
- an expansion of the scope of the DRS tax incidence study.
We cannot thank you enough for all your support, thoughtful push, and tireless collaboration to make this possible. You are the reason for why any of these investments have been funded and our gratitude is overflowing.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t note that while we celebrate the incremental, we always aim for transformational change. We recognize that this budget is imperfect. Like all of you, we hoped that more people-first policies had passed this year as well as more funding had been appropriated for what was passed. However, we also know that families need help NOW and that an imperfect budget isn’t a reason to throw the proverbial baby out with the bathwater. This budget seeks to address the needs of the moment and it’s in this spirit that we conclude it does. More work is needed and, together, more work will be done—ensuring this budget provides a solid foundation from which continued progress can be made.
We look forward to renewed partnership in the fight for equity ahead!